Founded in 1994, Phare Ponleu Selpak (PPS) is a Cambodian NGO based in Battambang, a rural province located near the Thai border. The city is a quiet rural provincial capital but the district of Battambang is continuously growing. PPS uses the arts not only as a tool to foster expression, but also as a complete set of tools aimed to answer children’s psycho-social needs including education, life skills, social skills and personal development.
PPS is dedicated to taking care of vulnerable and disadvantaged children through the following activities:
- Formal education through partnership with public schools;
- Medical care through referrals to local and health services;
- Vocational training in artistic fields giving children access to professional opportunities;
- Social support and counseling through referrals to social services;
- Organization of cultural activities promoting the Khmer culture and identity;
- Development of artistic, educational and cultural activities to keep the children out of the streets, giving them an opportunity to learn and develop their capacities and talents.
PPS enjoys a growing national and international recognition through the quality of its artistic schools, which curriculum includes circus arts, theater, visual arts and music. Since 1998, PPS has produced numerous acts and shows that have performed all over Cambodia as well as having toured abroad almost every year (Europe, Korea and the Philippines).
Gecsn has supported Phare Ponleu Selpak since 2008.